Pages

Saturday 7 June 2014

Australian Winter

This post looks back at a pair of past knits.  I knitted these hats following a request from my little sister who is currently living in Australia. Apparently it’ll get cold there!

 

For the hat itself I followed the setesdal beanie hat pattern in the book “Knit Nordic” by Eline Oftedal which has lots of lovely pattens based on 4 traditional nordic sweater pattens. It was knitted in a round on 3.5mm 40cm long circular needles, changing to short double pointed needles (dpns) as the stiches decreased. Something I didn’t like is getting a ‘jog’ in the pattern when moving from one round to the next. Think I’m knitting in a spiral but not sure how to correct this - any tips?


The bobble isn’t included in the original pattern but was a later addition. After finishing the first hat I sent a photo to my sister and felt rather pleased with myself. Job done. Or so I thought. The next day I woke up to a message saying “Thanks, I love the hat….but can it have a bobble?….and can you knit another for my boyfriend?”



So I added a bobble. This was the first time I’d made a bobble/pompom and it was really fun. I cut out two (almost) identical 5inch cardboard circles with a 1inch hole in the centre. This produced a very satisfying 4inch pompom. I was running low on wool so it ended up a little loose but I think it still looks cute. As much as I hate to say it, the sister was right, it is better with a bobble!


No comments:

Post a Comment